You can smell the heartwarming aroma of olive oil on your salad toppings, in your kitchen, but have you ever wondered that this oil has some versatile properties that can be used not only in your food but also used to enhanced your beauty. Olive oil being used since ancient times, is enriched with vitamins, and minerals, having antibacterial and anti-aging antioxidants. Olive oil is known to be originated from Mediterranean but it also has its roots in Greece. It is extracted directly from olives, which is the ancient cultivated trees in the world. It is mostly used for cooking, in moisturizing creams, lotions, shampoos, lip balms and many other beauty products. Extra virgin olive oil is believed to be 100% natural and supplemented with high amounts antioxidants and vitamin E and K.
Some the most striking properties of olive oil are:
- It is augmented with monounsaturated fatty acids mainly oleic acid which helps reduce blood cholesterol level, thus preventing strokes.
- It contains naturally dynamic and potent antioxidants which fights against prolonged diseases.
- It has large amount of vitamin E and K.
- Extra virgin olive oil has remarkable anti-inflammatory properties which greatly reduces inflammation mainly due to active antioxidants.
- It significantly reduces the risk of heart diseases including angina pectoris. Research has shown that olive oil controls the oxidation of bad cholesterol, recovers the coating of blood vessels and also aids in prevention of excess blood coagulation.
- Olive oil reduces cholesterol thus helps in weight loss and obesity.
- The anti-bacterial properties of olive oil helps to constrain injurious bacteria in the stomach that may cause ulcers.
Beside these health promoting properties, olive oil is also used to amplify your beauty. Its consistency and viscosity makes it so light that it can be easily absorbed into the skin. Application of olive oil on the skin makes it smooth, clear and moisturized. Broken, dry and chapped lips can be cured by using olive oil either directly on the lips or mixed with some other ingredients.
For cracked and dry lips you can use olive oil in the following ways:
- Combination of coconut oil and olive oil makes lips soft and nourished
- A scrub of olive oil and sea salt is believed to be excellent exfoliator that removes dead skin cells leaving the lips tender and fuller.
- Similarly, you can make a scrub of olive oil and sugar to cure dry and flaky lips.
- Application of olive oil mixed with some raw honey make you get rid of chapped lips, as honey is also equipped with healing properties.
- You can also mix some petroleum jelly and olive oil to make a homemade lip balm for your dry, cracked lips.
- Egg whites are known to have beneficial effects on skin. So if you mix egg white and olive oil it will moisturize, hydrate and soften your lips.
- Yogurt is one of the most nourishing ingredient. Blending it with olive oil doubles the nourishing properties which could help your lips becoming soft and tender.